Audition Notice for The Cover of LIFE by R.T. Robinson
The Elite Theatre is proud to announce its upcoming production of The Cover of LIFE – a play by R.T. Robinson, directed by Patrick Rogers, running for five weekends on the Main Stage from October 21, 2022 to November 20, 2022.
Tood, Weetsie, and Sybill are brides in rural Louisiana in 1943. Each married a Cliffert brother. The men are off to war and a local news story about these young wives keeping the home fires burning intrigues Henry Luce. He decides that they belong on the cover LIFE Magazine and assigns Kate Miller to the story. She has been covering the war in Europe and, though she views doing a “women’s piece” as a career set back, she accepts because it will be
her first cover story. Kate spends a week with the Cliffert women, and her haughty urban attitude gives way to sympathy as she begins to understand them while coming face to face with her own powerlessness in a man’s world.
Filled with charm and fun, The Cover of LIFE is a deeply affecting story about the struggle for self-worth.
The first day of auditions will be held at the Elite Theater, 2731 Victoria Avenue, in Fisherman’s Wharf at the Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard, California, at 7pm on Sunday, September 11.
The second day of auditions will be held at Courtyard by Marriott Oxnard (600 E Esplanade Dr, Oxnard, CA 93036), at 7pm on Monday, September 12.
Callbacks, if necessary, will also take place at Courtyard by Marriott Oxnard (600 E Esplanade Dr, Oxnard, CA 93036) at 7pm on Tuesday, September 13.
Performers auditioning are requested to bring headshots and resumes to the audition.
Audition participants must present proof of vaccination and booster against COVID-19 or an officially administered negative COVID-19 test (within the previous 72 hours) along with a photo ID.
All roles are open:
- TOOD – 19, pretty, genuine, a bit of a dreamer but determined (female)
- SYBIL – 25, flashy, “sophisticated” or “fast” in her crowd (female)
- WEETSIE – 20, plain and a little plump, very religious and very much the country girl (female)
- AUNT OLA – mid-40s but appears older, mother-in-law of the three young women, strong, matriarchal (female)
- KATE – early to mid-40s, correspondent/photographer for LIFE magazine, successful woman in a man’s world (female)
- ADDIE MAE – mid-40s, local newspaper reporter, affected stylishness (female)
- TOMMY – 20, youngest brother of the family, eager, friendly, insecure, a sailor serving in the South Pacific (male)
- SIDE 1: KATE; p. 9-10 [PDF]
- SIDE 2: ADDIE MAE, SYBIL, WEETSIE, TOOD; p. 13-15 [PDF]
- SIDE 3: ADDIE MAE, KATE; p. 16-17 [PDF]
- SIDE 4: SYBIL, WEETSIE, TOOD, AUNT OLA; p. 22-23 [PDF]
- SIDE 5: TOOD, SYBIL, WEETSIE; p.27-29 [PDF]
- SIDE 6: TOOD, TOMMY; p. 29-31 [PDF]
- SIDE 7: KATE, TOOD; p. 37- 39 [PDF]
- SIDE 8: AUNT OLA, KATE; p. 41-42 [PDF]
- SIDE 9: AUNT OLA, TOOD; p. 43-45 [PDF]
- SIDE 10: SYBIL; p. 50 [PDF]
- SIDE 11: TOOD, TOMMY; p. 53-54 [PDF]
- SIDE 12: WEETSIE, SYBIL; p. 68-69 [PDF]
For questions, please contact producer Hayley Silvers at hayley.silvers[at]gmail.com.
NOTE: Audition participants and actors must present proof of vaccination and booster against COVID-19 or an officially administered negative COVID-19 test (within the previous 72 hours) along with a photo ID.
The Cover of LIFE is presented with the approval of Concord Theatricals.